"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Annalisa

"Annalisa" has actually been finished and blocked for about a week and a half now. I wanted to hold off on posting it till I had it mounted and framed, but every single day something has come up to keep that from happening, so I finally decided I'd better just show it to you as is.

First, here it is before blocking, taken from an odd angle to show just how badly the blocking was needed. It is one of those pieces that you have to bunch up as you work on it to maintain your hold, plus it was always folded up small in my tatting bag when I wasn't working on it.


Now here it is on the blocking board. I took this one because I can't seem to get a good photo of the thread, but when it's wet you can see even in a photo just how many colors are in it. Of course they aren't this intense when dry, even in person.


Finally, a scan of the blocked doily, with the fabric I intend to mount it on. Someday. Soon.


Depending on your monitor, you may be able to see the thread colors somewhat here. I was planning on ironing it after blocking, because it still wasn't quite perfect, but it turns out simply leaving it on the scanner bed for a week and a half, with Squijum sitting on the scanner lid every day (it can't possibly be comfortable, but he insists), worked just as well. With all these long chains, this is as good as it gets.

I have to admit, this was a tough one to tat. The diagram was incredibly complex and difficult to follow. When you successfully complete a project like this, it is wonderfully satisfying.

To recap, "Annalisa" doily, from the book Tatted Doilies by Iris Niebach, tatted in Olympus thread color M12, size 40.

9 comments:

  1. It looks so amazing!!! Even before blocking!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see the delicate colors, glorious! It looks tough to tat but your efforts were well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a wonderful job on it -- it's so even! I love the color you used, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Suijuum,

    I tried that as well...you can't clone yourself with that copying machine. Too bad. Would be great if there were copies of us!
    Your pal,

    Gian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous, Miranda. I agree; that is the most difficult piece I have ever tatted and very satisfying to complete. Congrats. Your tatting is spectacular.
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely see the lovely colors AND your wonderful tatting and perfect picots. Quite a masterpiece! (Great job, Squijum!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see the colors, and they are beautiful! Congratulations on finishing such a complex piece. I love Iris's designs, but they do require a lot of concentration. I haven't tried this one yet, but I'm sure I will some day, especially after seeing your beautiful interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, I remember Fox and Wendy having problems with it, I can see the colours, and they look lovely
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so beautiful! Congrats on your finish. The thread has such nice colours

    ReplyDelete